Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Nicknames

Can't really say why I felt compelled to make this list, but here are some of my favorite sports nicknames:

BASKETBALL:

"Pistol" Pete Maravich

Julius Erving, "Dr J"

FOOTBALL:

Dick "Night Train" Lane

Ed "Too Tall" Jones

Bronislau "Bronko" Nagurski

Red Grange, "The Galloping Ghost"

Daryl "Moose" Johnston

BASEBALL:

George Herman "Babe" Ruth, "The Bambino"

Henry "Hank" Aaron, "Hammerin' Hank"

BOXING:

Roberto "Manos de Piedra" Duran

Chuck Wepner, "The Bayonne Bleeder"

Tommy "The Hit Man" Hearns

"Gentleman" Jim Corbett

"Iron" Mike Tyson

Evander "The Real Deal" Holyfield

"Jersey Joe" Walcott

"Smokin" Joe Frazier



Please feel free to comment with nicknames you like that aren't on my list

3 comments:

Suzie said...

What about William "the Refrigerator" Perry, and speaking of persons with the last name of Perry, what about Elliot "Socks" Perry?!

Zachary Taylor said...

Is that you, Suzie? If it is then you can tell me which female contestant I had a crush on during American Idol, season 4. Also if it is you, Suzie, then you carried a torch for Constantine that season.
Yeah, The Fridge is a good one. As far as Elliot Perry goes, let me clarify: I was focusing on atheletes who had achieved a certain legendary status, or who had at least one moment of greatness. Sorry, Socks.

Suzie said...

Okay, so I must have missed the words "legendary" and "at least one moment of greatness"!!

Actually "Socks" Perry played for the Suns and was good friends with Charles Barkley and I sat next to an agent in REZ who talked to CB when he called in to say he was running late and was going to miss the team plane (1993-1994 time frame). . . so, I guess we can say there were three degrees of separation. Does that qualify as a moment of greatness???

Hmmm. . . season 4, it was either Jessica "No Neck" Sierra or Lindsey Cardinale!!

Ahh, Constantine, my little baklava!