Monday, May 29, 2006

The Lesson?

I had the opportunity yesterday to teach the High Priest lesson. It always makes me nervous to stand in front of such an experienced, "seasoned" group. I often get the panicky feeling that I am tearing through my prepared notes, only to realize I still have about 20 minutes left. I started out a little speedy, but was able to calm down and gather myself. The lesson was taken from an April conference talk by Elder David Stone entitled - "Zion in the Midst of Babylon." It deals with how we have a charge to live "in the world, but not of the world," as the expression goes. Or, as I phrased it: fit in, but not blend in. My expressed hope was that we will each be able to live in such a manner that Zion and the Gospel itself will be visible in our countenances. Or, as one brother put it - paraphrasing (I can't remember where this comes from), "If we are accused of being a Latter-Day Saint, will there be enough evidence to convict us?" I was pleased that the brethren seemed to get something from the lesson. I received several nice compliments.

No comments: