Friday, May 19, 2006

Return of the AVP'er and Chuck Noland's God



Ok, Sarah. I'll put the finely tuned/toned spiking babe back in. You're right, it just doesn't seem right without her. Especially since I mention the photo further down. Maybe I'll find out who she is...someday. And if I do, I'll tell her that I was one of the hundreds of shmoes watching her play v-ball that day...in the SB. ZT - 27 May, 2006

Today I felt the need for some relaxation, so I took a day trip to one of my other favorite places - Santa Barbara, CA. The airport, a rich hacienda-type affair, is a mere 10 minute walk from the beach. I've been there twice before. The first time was memorable because it was the first time I'd ever seen a dolphin anywhere besides Sea World. I saw the dorsal fin break the surface, and before I could register my surprise at that - the dolphin popped clean out of the water in a perfect arc.
Anyway, today I took a walk out to the end of Goleta Pier, just to read, smell the sea air, and listen to the waves break on the beach. I then drove down to State street, which runs through downtown SB. Lots of nice looking homes are there to be seen, as well as lots of quaint litte motels I'm sure my Mom would've enjoyed seeing. State St. runs right into Stearns Wharf, with several restaurants and shops out on the pier. One can actually drive out and park on it if one wishes.
Unbeknownst to me (honestly) the AVP pro beach volleyballers were there for a tourstop. Didn't see Kerri Walsh or Misty May, but got this pretty good action shot of an anonymous, intense-looking player serving one up. I also got this shot of a giant Wilson Volleyball (can't you just see it with a huge, smiling, red-painted hand?).

The day was mostly overcast, but still it was a pleasant day with many cool breezes. It was nice getting back home despite the 40 degree temperature swing.

I arrived home to discover there would be a total of 5 kids sleeping at this house tonight. Bless their noisy little hearts. Oh, wait - I hear Emma. Sadie must've just bumped her off of some toy or other. Anyhoo...

Best wishes to all, and have a pleasant evening. I'm off to have a stiff pint - o' Haagen Dazs! P.S. - I eat ice cream alone. Yeah, with nobody else.

3 comments:

Sarah W. said...

I didn't know you got a picture of me while doing a sweet volleyball move. Dang, I look good!!!

Sarah W. said...

Now that you've taken the volleyball player off your blog, my original comment doesn't make sense. Oops!

Sarah W. said...

yeah, that is more like it. I love looking at myself playing volleyball. I forgot how incredibly tall I am.