Wednesday, May 10, 2006

View from the Empire State Bldg


Prior to actually going there, I gleaned most of what I knew of Manhattan/NYC from tv shows like 'Seinfeld' or 'Law & Order' or from films such as 'The Godfather.' When I'd hear terms like "upper west side," "Soho," or "121 W. 81st St" I got no mental picture. I had no idea what those things meant. Now it all makes sense. Thus, now when Briscoe and Green find a body in Morningside Park, I know just where that is. (110th & Manhattan Ave).
I was unprepared for how impressive a place Manhattan is. Central Park is beautiful - a real jewel in so urban a setting. And the natives really do appreciate it. One thing in particular struck me: Upon hearing the name Manhattan in the past, I always thought HUGE, just as a result of it being part of NYC. But really, Manhattan is small. The island is about 2 1/2 miles wide at it's widest- about 2 miles wide on avg. And I'd estimate maybe 10 miles from top to bottom. And yet - places I've often heard of, like Little Italy, Chinatown, Greenwich Village, Soho, Tribeca, and Chelsea are all located within the area shown in this photograph. Quite a unique place. FYI, Ground Zero is on the right side among the tall buildings in the far distance. Also you can see Lady Liberty way out there on her island in the upper right.

1 comment:

pilgrimchick said...

That's a great picture. Manhattan is indeed small, but very rich as you have described. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I am certainly going to stop at the ESB when I do make it back, given the view.